Monday, September 6, 2010

counting the days...

It is a month later after the last post and much has happened. I am leaving in 10 days and the last few weeks have been intense. Booking my flight, appointments and vaccinations, figuring out hostels and how to utilize them for their benefits (i.e. I booked the first one because it had free airport transfer and a good nightlife reputation), seeing all the people I care about before my journey, and dealing with the emotions and weird feelings that surface. It is very difficult and dispiriting to have to reassure others this is a trip of a lifetime, a milestone, and a rewarding experience that should not be feared; however, coming from a smaller city people's opinions have been somewhat naive. The woman at the bank called me "brave" and many ask "Arn't you scared!? I could NEVER do that." Understandably I'm nervous, but that will not stop me from embracing a completely new element and worldly context. Also, there has been some misinterpretation as to why I am traveling to South America and it is definitely not to try to prove a point that I have the ability to do so, but simply the purpose is to live my dream and be surrounded by a culture I curiously feel a connection to... Sadly, some of this arduous "caution" has got me a little fearful and I've had to reassure myself lately of this amazing and fulfilling expedition I am about to have. Remember, each to their own.

Lively fun and jokes with friends followed by a detoxifying day spa and quality time up north spent with my mum, have postponed any feelings of worry. But sure enough, back at my desk, I've felt an itch and pushing anxiety while I stare at the calender above my head with the days numbered. I keep having the sense that I need to be doing something before I leave, like there is some sort of standard activity, or closure that is accustom before one takes off. But today I realized that I just need to relax and feel these days out with ease and contentment; do things I want to do that will make me happy and gratified. This whole thing is actually not a big deal; therefore, peace and tranquility will give me the assurance and support I need.

This morning I listened to a flattering message left on my answering machine from last night (that was probably somewhat alcohol inspired) and I was described as an "Archaeologist." It was because of my charisma and search of adventure... (the second adjective is a guess from the rambles pieced together to support this announced title). Other side points were that I'm tanned and have blonde hair, but I think those were just stated as minor defending facts. Also, they said I work too hard, but I play hard... but either way, I'm ready to use my archaeologist skills and have a great journey excavating my fortune.

One of my closest friends claims I was born a traveler. With whiskey in one hand, she explained to me that I have amazing adaptation skills and that I am very independent ...Independent in the sense that if "shit goes array," I will know the necessary precautions to take and successfully deal with any situation that arrives. Also, she jokes that I am the dubbed "party planner" and know what's going on in her city before she does. This being said, she is 100% confident and extremely enthusiastic I am going... I hang on to these words with trust and belief they are true.

Thanks to everyone, who has helped add to my backbone and encourage my exploration... finally this born traveler must land and commence what I've longed to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment