Tuesday, September 21, 2010

First week in Buenos Aires

I went on a walking tour with a super awesome and nice guide. Her name is Constanza and she is studying art history and is an artist on the side. We went to La Boca, which is known as the tango central... and it is very touristy for that reason; however, this is only in a radius of a few blocks, because it gets pretty shady pretty much everywhere else in that area. Also, the famous Boca Junior futbol stadium is there. This is one of, or the biggest, fubol (soccer) teams in Buenos Aires. The buildings are all different colours in the center of this area because the poor people would only use the left over paint from the ships or other things.



I did a quick walk through San Telmo, which is like Queen West west of Toronto, so maybe more liek parkdale or near Trinity Bellwoods. There are galleries everywhere with a mix of local art, handicrafts, markets and some more elite work. This area has some really nice mansion buildings. This was because the area use to be the rich area, but then Yellow Fever broke out and the elite moved to Palermo or Recoleta. These people then sold their rich larges houses to the immigrants where up to 6 to 8 families would live in them! I plan on revisiting this area more closely later.

We had a cute lunch near the sqaure in San Telmo. They usually have lunch (and sometimes dinner) specials which includes maybe a drink, a choice of starter or salad, then a main meal.. and coffee and dessert. Or coffee AS dessert. Fruit salad of flam pudding is also very very popular. Oh yeah, and a traditional BsAs (Buenos Aires) dessert is a crepe with Dulce de Leche, which is pretty much a thick milky caramel sauce inside. Talk about delicious! All for roughly 35pesos.


I finally had some "Ohmy gosh, I am in Argentina moments." One was from taking the subway by myself to meet my Brazillian girlfriends for lunch at a VEGETARIAN restaurant! It was super delicious. I had some sort of baked tortilla shell stuffed with sauteed onion and cabbage with a side salad. Sorry I digressed a little.. the food here is just so different and good I feel I need to explain it! Okay, my second realization moment was when it was a sunny day here and I look up to an Argentinian flag, which has the blue stripes and the sun in the middle. So it was like I was looking at the Sun. I then looked around and saw more flags and felt really happy. It was really a beautiful moment.

Already in the wonderful district of Palermo, the Brazillian girls and I walked to the Jardin Japones or the Japanese Gardens. It was really pretty, but as far as Japanese goes... it was pretty subdued. They had nicely landscaped gardens, some japanese fish, and a red oriental bridge haha.



Afterwards we went to the MALBA which is a Museo de Arte Latinamericano de Buenos Aires, which is pretty much the AGO of Buenos Aires. It was very refreshing to go and feel myself using my gift of a creative mind. I had to explain some art to the Brazillian girls haha. Some famous artists are...

Diego Rivera

Alejandro Xul Solar

Emiolio Pettoruti

and Antonio Berni

I looked at some architecture and design books and got goosebumps. I am becoming quite artistically inspired here.



* * *

On a Wednesday night we did a pub crawl with the Hostel and it was nuts. The last club we went to was called Kika (I think...) and again stayed until 6am. I can not believe thier nightlife lifestyle here. Unfortunately I stood too close to the fog machine, and really this smoke in doors thing is just frusterating... but I lost my voice. Also, probably from yelling too much (trying to talk in the club). In the end though, it was just down right unreal fun.




* * *

I went on another walking tour in Recoleta yesterday and it definitely can be compared to the Yorkville area of Toronto. The buildings were very.. FRENCH. Yes, French. Aparentely back in the day

Waaaaay back in the day, this area was claimed ¨unusable¨ and given to the Recoleta priests, but once the yellow fever broke, all the rich moved here and started building their new homes. So also, there are a lot of historic buildings here and the famous Cemetario where the body of Evita is located (which I visited). I cant remember exactly why they were inspired by the French, but after being to Paris, France, some of the buildings are very comparable! They call the area near the street 9 de Julio the ẅhitest area of BsAs, because of all the white french architectural buildings. Very pretty, but very expensive.



I went to a restaurant called Cumana that had the BEST empanadas and different food. Very reasonable priceto. Also, I tried this backed potato stuffed with pumpkin, different cheeses, some corn with sprinkled walnuts on top and glazed with a little honey on top too. Talk about different and so soooo yummy!



Afterwards I went to the Fine arts Museo (Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes) which includes very traditional Argentinian and European fine art on the first floor. The second was more installation art and a photography section with the exhibit called "Paris at night" (but obviously in Spanish).

Some neat artists include:

Francisco Zurbarab

Romulo Maccio

Carlos Alonso

Marcia Schwartz

Luis Fernando Benedit

Brasaii


On the way home, I stumbled upon gallery night, almost like an art crawl, in the Recoleta district that Contanza (the tour guide) mentioned. I went to several, just popping in and out and it was very beautiful. It was more crowded though, since it was quite an event here.

Took it relatively easy last night because I walked the entire day and my throat is not yet better, but tonight should be fun. I think I might go to something called "La Bamba" which will be a massive drum and percussion show.

Today I will be visiting other Hostels and planning the next part. And by next part, I mean just another hostel that is a bit more calm, so I have the ability to do so.

I had a realization a couple days ago... I am definitely re-living my first week of college here. haha I never knew I would have another Frosh week.

The people are super friendly and helpful, but I MUST take spanish lessons. Again... this will be soon figured out.

Sending Love and Kisses,

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment